Why Choose Iron Fencing Over Wood
Fences are one of the ways to enhance your home's appearance. It protects your family, pets, or possessions from unwanted strangers and other dangers. However, choosing the right type of fence may be difficult since many styles are available in the market today. Two of the most popular fencing materials today are iron and wood.
Wrought iron is a great choice when deciding what type of fencing to put up in your yard. It is durable and will last for many years. It also has a beautiful appearance that can be customized to match any home's exterior design. Many people are choosing wrought iron fences over wood because it lasts longer and looks better than wood. This article will discuss the benefits of iron fences and how you can choose them for your fencing project.
What materials are used for wrought iron fences?
Popular materials used for metal fences include:
- Iron. Iron is known for its strength and durability compared to other metal types. It will not become rust quickly or corrode, so it does not need any coating like paint. It can be molded into many different shapes due to its malleability properties. This means there are endless options when choosing fencing project designs.
- Steel. This material is also durable, strong, and will not rust easily. It has the same properties as iron but can last even longer because it does not rust or fade over time. This is another good choice for a fence project.
- Aluminum. The main benefit of aluminum fences is that they do not need any upkeep. They never need to be repainted, unlike iron or steel. They are also incredibly lightweight, so they do not rust over time and last longer than iron fences.
What are the benefits of a wrought iron fence over wood?
A wrought iron fence is durable and enhances the aesthetic value of any home or building where it is installed. It can last up to 50 years with minimal maintenance and provides privacy while at the same time allowing you to see your surroundings; this makes iron fencing perfect for backyards. Iron fence panels are designed with intricate patterns, textured surfaces, and bright colors, making your yard look more pleasing.
There are numerous benefits of iron fences over wood fences like:
- Iron does not rust and will last longer than wood.
- Metal gates can be crafted in different shapes and designs based on your preference.
- It has a lifetime warranty for any manufacturing defects.
- There is no need to repaint a wrought iron fence as it will not rust or fade over time as wood might do.
- Iron fences are typically more affordable than wood.
- It does not need to be repaired after rainstorms or other elements since iron will not rust or rot as wood might do.
What are some disadvantages of iron fences?
There are also some disadvantages of iron fences when compared to wood.
- Iron fence panels are harder and take more time for installation than other fencing materials like wood which might be a problem if you need your fence installed quickly or in less than ideal weather conditions such as rain, snow, or extreme heat.
- It has no natural texture, so wrought iron fence panels may not look as appealing as wood.
- Iron is more difficult to cut through than other materials like wood which may be an issue if you need a specific design or shape for your fence.
Warranties on metals
Each material has a different warranty that you should be aware of before choosing iron fencing material. Iron can have a lifetime warranty against any manufacturing defects but may only cover the initial installation until it is installed. Aluminum can have a five-year guarantee against any manufacturing defects, but it depends on what the fence installer provides.
Wood is typically the cheapest material to choose from because it can be installed at a low cost compared to wrought iron or steel fencing. However, wood will need repair after years of exposure to water, snow, wind, the sun and other harsh elements. Wood also does not have many design options compared to iron fencing material. It is typically only available as planks, whereas a wrought iron fence can be molded into almost any shape or size that you desire.
Popular materials for wood fencing include:
- Redwood. This type of wood is very durable and will last many years. It is also resistant to insects, rot, fungi, termites, and other natural elements.
- Pine. Pine is one of the cheapest types of wood to purchase. It is lightweight, making it easy for installation and repair. However, it is not as durable and robust compared with other types of wood.
- Cedar. This type of wood is very popular because it looks great in almost any yard design. Cedar can also last a long time without rotting or being damaged by elements.
- Oak. Oak has the same benefits as cedar but may be more expensive than other types of wood.
- Pressure-treated. This is a common type of wood used for fences because it's both affordable and relatively long-lasting without much upkeep required, though it can be prone to rotting if it's not treated with preservatives.
Warranties on wood fences
Similar to metal fencing, wood may only come with a warranty for the initial installation. Wood can also last many years without any problems but will need regular maintenance and repairs after rainstorms or other natural elements like moisture and insects.
What are the advantages of wood fences over iron fences?
Wood is an inexpensive choice for fencing. Wood is one of the most durable materials that are used to make fences. A good quality pressure-treated lumber can last up to 20 years with occasional repairs. Advantages include:
- Wood fences gates require less maintenance than metal ones.
- Wood fence panels have better insulation properties, unlike iron ones.
- It poses no threat to local wildlife and naturally blends with the landscape, unlike iron fencing.
- Wood fences are easily installed, unlike iron ones.
Disadvantages of Wooden Fences
Wooden fences are not good in areas where they are exposed to harsh weather conditions. Rotting is the most common problem in wooden fences since water can seep into the cracks or damage its foundation.
A rotten fence cannot hold any weight and may pose a danger to people passing by your house, especially children. Repair costs of wooden fences can be higher than iron ones because replacement is the only option if your fence is already rotten.
Prices of iron fences vs. wooden fences
The cost of iron fencing varies depending on the style and the project style you want. A Victorian-style fence with intricate patterns may cost more than $30 per linear ft, while block letter styles can be purchased for less than $20 per linear ft.
Wood fences are around $10 to $12 per linear ft. Pressure-treated lumber is approximately $4 to $7 per linear foot. However, this price often goes up if it needs replacement because the whole piece needs to be cut out, including posts, before installing a new one. It's usually cheaper to buy new materials if your wood fence has reached its expiration date (usually after 15 years).
Wrought iron fences are an excellent choice for your home because they will last longer than wood, won't rust or rot like a wooden fence would, and can be crafted to fit any aesthetic. You'll find that iron is also more affordable than a traditional wood fence too! For all of these reasons and more, we recommend going with an iron fence for your property.
We know you’re still looking for the right company to build your custom iron fence, so we wanted to take this opportunity to tell you why Austin Iron Fences is tops. For starters, our products are made of high-quality metals and will last a lifetime if properly maintained.
Plus, all orders come with free estimates that help make sure every project starts on the right foot! Call us today at 512-271-6276 or email us for more information about how we can turn your dream into reality!